Keep your pet safe from mushroom toxicity

by | Apr 11, 2023

Recent weather conditions have resulted in heavy mushroom sprouting in a number of areas. While not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, some can be extremely dangerous and even deadly if ingested.

The severity of toxicity can depend on the type of mushroom ingested, the amount ingested and the size of the dog. Symptoms of mushroom toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, weakness, lethargy, seizures and even death.

There are many varieties of mushroom that can be toxic, but the particularly deadly Death Cap Mushroom (Amanita phalloides) should be specifically avoided – it is a known cause of acute liver failure in both people and pets. Death Cap Mushrooms typically have sticky yellow or green tinted caps with crowded white gills underneath. Mature death caps are wide and nearly flat on top, whereas immature death cap mushrooms have a very rounded cap. These mushrooms are commonly found beneath pine, oak and other broad-leaved trees, but locations can vary.

To prevent mushroom toxicity in dogs, it is important to keep your dog away from any wild mushrooms that may be growing in your yard or on walks. Always keep your dog on lead when out for a walk and check your yard daily, removing any mushrooms or fungi. If you are uncertain about the type of mushroom your dog has consumed, it is best to assume that it is toxic and seek veterinary care immediately.

If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic mushroom, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Your veterinarian may induce vomiting to remove any remaining mushrooms from the stomach, provide supportive care such as IV fluids and medications to manage symptoms, and monitor your dog’s condition closely. In severe cases, hospitalisation may be necessary.

 

Make an Appointment

Call Our Friendly Staff

Is Your Pet’s Smile Healthy? Let’s Talk Dental Disease in Pets!

Did you know that dental disease is one of the most common health issues in cats and dogs? Over 80% of pets over the age of three have some form of dental disease, which can lead to serious health problems if left untreated. Why It Matters: Dental disease doesn't just...

Bravery Award June 2024 – Ruby the Cavoodle

Ruby the fourteen-year-old Cavoodle visited the Berwick clinic a couple of months ago for some vomiting and inappetence.  After some initial bloodwork was performed, it was clear due to her elevated hepatic markers that she was suffering from kidney disease and based...

Bravery Award May 2024 – Thomas the Pomeranian

Thomas, the twelve-year-old Pomeranian was a little too forward one morning and rushed to greet a passing dog who was walking down the footpath outside his house.  Unfortunately for Thomas, he didn’t realise quick enough that his new “friend” didn’t appreciate the...

Bravery Award April 2024 – Simba the Labrador

Simba, the nearly four-year-old golden Labrador nearly didn’t make it to Christmas last year after having to receive TWO exploratory laparotomies in the space of a week.  The first was to remove the sock he decided was a very tasty snack, the second was required as he...

Hip Dysplasia in Dogs: Understanding the Condition and Breeds at Risk

Hip dysplasia is a debilitating orthopaedic condition that can affect dogs of various breeds and sizes. Characterised by an abnormal formation of the hip joint, hip dysplasia can cause pain, lameness, and reduced mobility in affected dogs. While all dogs can...

Understanding PennHIP: A Revolutionary Approach to Evaluating Canine Hip Health

Among the numerous health issues that can affect dogs, hip dysplasia ranks among the most prevalent and debilitating. However, thanks to advancements in veterinary medicine, particularly the development of techniques like PennHIP, there's hope for better diagnosis and...

Beware the Fungus Among Us: Mushroom Toxicity in Pets

Mushrooms, with their diverse shapes and colours, can be an enchanting sight in nature. However, not all mushrooms are harmless, and some can pose serious risks to our furry companions. While many pet owners are vigilant about potential hazards in their homes and...

Bravery Award – March 2024 – Danger the Tonkinese

Danger, the two-year-old Tonkinese was hanging out in his front garden a few weeks ago when he took a shine to the neighbour’s cat and went next door for a visit.  Expecting him back shortly (as he wasn’t one to wander far), his owners became increasingly concerned...

Easter Pet Safety: Ensuring a Hoppy Holiday for Your Furry Friends

As Easter approaches, households around the world prepare for festivities filled with colourful eggs, delicious treats, and joyful celebrations. While Easter is a time for families to come together, it's essential to remember that some of the traditions associated...

Bravery Award – February 2024 – Rivva the Kelpie

Rivva, the four-year-old red kelpie presented to us this month, collapsed, pale, breathing rapidly and with a racing heart rate.  She was rushed through for immediate hospitalization and treatment with Dr. Tracy.  As investigations began and bloodwork was performed,...