Clyde Road Level Crossing Removal – latest updates
Last updated: 26 October 2020
As many of you will be aware, the level crossing at Clyde Road in Berwick is set for removal by 2022. As the works progress, we will endeavour to keep you informed of any upcoming delays or detours that may affect your visits to see us. The footpath and pedestrian rail crossing on the eastern side of Clyde Road, between Reserve Street and the Enterprise Avenue intersection, will remain closed until early-2022. You can detour along the western side of Clyde Road.
Scheduled Works for November
Works continue throughout November, including:
- Relocating underground services along the eastern and western side of Clyde Road
- Installing drainage along the eastern side of Clyde Road near Berwick Station
- Building foundations on the north-east and north-west sides of the level crossing, which will prove support for future piling machinery
- Installing safety barriers along Clyde Road, between Reserve Street and Langmore Lane
- Construction of a new northbound U-turn lane and signalised pedestrian crossing on Clyde Road at Gibb Street
- Geotechnical and service investigations along Clyde Road, surrounding local streets and at Berwick Station car park
What to expect
- Construction works, heavy vehicle activity and equipment on site
- Temporary lane closures, and some minor detours with reduced speed limits in place during works
- Traffic management to help drivers and pedestrians move safely through the area
- No changes to business and property access
- Noise levels will be monitored and minimised as much as possible
Works will generally take place Monday to Friday, 7am to 6pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm subject to weather
Changes to how you travel
From mid-November to mid-February 2021.
- Clyde Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Reserve Street and the Mansfield Street/Langmore Lane intersection. Access to Reserve Street and Gibb Street will be maintained at all times.
- The existing southbound U-turn lane on Clyde Road at Reserve Street will be closed intermittently during works. A U-turn can be performed further south at the Enterprise Avenue intersection when the closure is in place.
- No left turn into Jane street from Clyde Road
- No left turn out of Jane Street onto Clyde Road
During these works, drivers can detour via Mansfield and Evan Street. Traffic management and detour signage will be in place.
You can still access local businesses and residential properties throughout the works.
For more information on accessing the hospital, please call us on (03) 9707 2655.