Clyde Road Level Crossing Removal – latest updates
Last updated: 2 December 2020
As many of you will be aware, the level crossing at Clyde Road in Berwick is set for removal by 2022. As the works progress, we will endeavour to keep you informed of any upcoming delays or detours that may affect your visits to see us. The footpath and pedestrian rail crossing on the eastern side of Clyde Road, between Reserve Street and the Enterprise Avenue intersection, will remain closed until early-2022. You can detour along the western side of Clyde Road.
Scheduled Works for December
In preperation for major construction in early 2021, works continue throughout December, including:
- Relocating underground services along Clyde Road and Reserve Street, including water and power
- Installing drainage along both sides of Clyde Road
- Building foundations around the level crossing, which will provide support for future piling machinery
- Construction of a new northbound U-turn lane and a signalised pedestrian crossing on Clyde Road at Gibb Street
- Geotechnical and service investigations along Clyde Road, surrounding local streets and at Berwick Station car park.
What to expect
- Construction works, heavy vehicle activity and equipment on site
- Temporary lane closures, and some minor detours with reduced speed limits in place during works
- Localised pedestrian detours and traffic management to help you move safely through the area
- Property and business access will be maintained where possible
- Noise levels will be monitored and minimised as much as possible.
Works will generally take place Monday to Friday, 7am to 6pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm subject to weather
Changes to how you travel
From mid-November to mid-February 2021.
- Clyde Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Reserve Street and the Mansfield Street/Langmore Lane intersection. Access to Reserve Street and Gibb Street will be maintained at all times.
- The existing southbound U-turn lane on Clyde Road at Reserve Street will be closed intermittently during works. A U-turn can be performed further south at the Enterprise Avenue intersection when the closure is in place.
- No left turn into Jane street from Clyde Road
- No left turn out of Jane Street onto Clyde Road
During these works, drivers can detour via Mansfield and Evan Street. Traffic management and detour signage will be in place.
You can still access local businesses and residential properties throughout the works.
For more information on accessing the hospital, please call us on (03) 9707 2655.
As work on the Clyde Road level crossing continues, we would like to let you know about a recommended alternative route to take when coming from Narre Warren or the Berwick township.
If you’re travelling from Narre Warren, instead of turning onto Clyde Road directly from the Princes Hwy where the traffic congestion is worst, turn right onto Coniston Avenue (before reaching the main set of Berwick traffic lights), then left onto the Princes Hwy Service Road. Drive along the Princes Hwy Service Road until you hit Millwood Avenue. From Millwood Avenue turn left onto Mansfield Street, then right onto Evan Street and finally left onto Jane Street where you can enter from our back car park.
If travelling from Berwick, it is easiest to take the Princes Hwy Service Road on your left, immediately after going through the main set of traffic lights in Berwick (down past the car dealerships). Turn left onto Millwood Avenue, and continue as per directions above.
Cars are no longer able to make U-turns or right-hand turns into the clinic from the Clyde Road traffic lights out the front of the clinic. Instead, you will need to head down to Enterprise Avenue and make a U-turn there. Given the heavy congestion, we recommend you avoid this route, and utilise the back roads as described above.
Left-hand turns out of Jane Street onto Clyde Road are also currently not possible, so we have made our exit point to the car park two-way to enable you to more easily access the back roads when entering or leaving the hospital.
If you need any assistance in planning the easiest route to our hospital, please don’t hesitate to give one of our team a buzz prior to your visit on (03) 9707 2655.
We’ve got some exciting news in the works for 2021 to ensure our patients can easily access veterinary care throughout this period – keep an eye out for upcoming announcements!