Bravery Award September 2023

by | Sep 27, 2023

Three-year-old Mako the Domestic Medium Hair cat was in a spot of trouble a couple of weeks ago when his owners had to rush him down to the emergency vet in the early hours of the morning as he was suddenly suffering from severe tremors.  On questioning, it was discovered that Mako’s appetite was quite out of the ordinary (especially for a cat), and that there was a possibility that he had gotten into his family’s compost bin.  After vomiting was induced and Mako brought up some potato skins, suspicions that he was most likely suffering from tremorgenic mycotoxicity was confirmed.  Tremorgenic mycotoxicity in animals is a condition caused by the ingestion of mycotoxins, which are toxic compounds produced by certain moulds. These mycotoxins can contaminate various types of food, particularly grains and cereals, and can lead to a range of neurological symptoms in domestic animals. When an animal consumes mycotoxin-contaminated food, the mycotoxins are absorbed into the bloodstream and generally affect the central nervous system, leading to severe neurological symptoms.  Mako was known for his unusual appetite, but it had never posed such a risk to his life before.

The highest priority was to reduce Mako’s tremors and support his body with IV fluid therapy whilst the toxins took their time to move through his body.  He began to receive a very strong muscle relaxant and anti-seizure medication called Methocarbamol, which helped to stop his tremors for a time, but these would begin again as soon as the medication began to wear off.  This meant that he needed to continue his care through the next day and possibly beyond, so was transferred to the team at Berwick who took over his case.

Animals affected by tremorgenic mycotoxicity may exhibit a range of symptoms, which can vary in severity. Common signs include; tremors and shaking (hence the name), muscle rigidity or stiffness, incoordination or difficulty walking, seizures, increased heart rate and breathing rate, vomiting and diarrhea may also occur, as the mycotoxins can irritate the gastrointestinal tract.  If tremorgenic mycotoxicity is not treated quickly and effectively, it can prove to be fatal.  It is critically important to ensure that all rubbish bins in your home are out of reach of your pets or have sturdy lids they can’t knock open, and that compost bins are always securely covered outside.

Mako spent many days (and nights) in hospital with both clinics receiving lots of supportive care, continuing medications and lots of small frequent meals, those of which he ate with gusto through it all, his strong appetite not affected!  He had difficulty moving around like normal, but still managed to hop in and out of his litter tray to urinate and was always happy for some pats when his tremors calmed down.  With close monitoring, medications, and lots of IV fluid therapy to help get those nasty toxins out of his body, Mako made a full recovery and is now enjoying life back in the comfort of his own home.  He may think twice about looking in peculiar places for food in future and just stick to what’s given to him in his dinner bowl!  We hope you’ve learnt your lesson, cheeky Mako and we are so glad you are feeling better!

Make an Appointment

Call Our Friendly Staff

Bravery Award – February 2024 – Rivva the Kelpie

Rivva, the four-year-old red kelpie presented to us this month, collapsed, pale, breathing rapidly and with a racing heart rate.  She was rushed through for immediate hospitalization and treatment with Dr. Tracy.  As investigations began and bloodwork was performed,...

Calling All Young Artists!

Calling all young artists! Get ready for some Easter fun with our Egg-citing Colouring Competition! Let your creativity run wild and show off your artistic skills by participating in our Easter colouring contest! How to Enter: Download the entry form here Get creative...

Paws and Needles: The Role of Acupuncture in Pet Health and Wellness

We’re lucky to have our very own Veterinary Acupuncturist here at BVH – Dr. Tracy Wong. In recent years, alternative therapies such as acupuncture have gained popularity in veterinary medicine as complementary approaches to conventional treatments. While acupuncture...

Breathing Easy: Exploring BOAS Surgery in Brachycephalic Dogs

Brachycephalic dog breeds, characterised by their short muzzles and flattened faces, such as Bulldogs, Pugs, and French Bulldogs, have surged in popularity in recent years. While these breeds often capture hearts with their adorable looks and charming personalities,...

Beat the Heat: Essential Tips for Keeping Your Pets Cool This Summer

With extreme heat forecasted for today it's not just us humans who feel the heat – our furry friends do too! While summer brings sunshine and outdoor adventures, it also poses risks to our beloved pets. Here are some crucial tips to help keep your furry companions...

Keeping Your Furry Valentine Safe: Tips for a Pet Friendly Valentine’s Day

  Valentine's Day can be a fun and special occasion for both you and your pets, but it's important to keep their safety in mind. Here are some tips to ensure your pets stay safe during this holiday:   Keep Chocolates and Candies Out of Reach: Chocolate and...

Love Fur All: Heartfelt Ways to Spoil Your Pet This Valentines Day

Valentine's Day can be a fun time to show love and appreciation to your pets! Here are some ideas for celebrating with your furry friends:         Special Treats: Make or buy some special treats for your pet. You can find heart-shaped treats at pet...

Bravery Award – January 2024

A few weeks back, nearly six-year-old Maggie presented to our Wellness Centre when her owner discovered a large    area on her chest that looked rather strange.  Thinking it was just dirt, Maggie’s Mum went to wash it off, but quickly realised that it was indeed her...

Keeping them cool – A guide to recognising and managing heatstroke in small animals

With the warmer weather just around the corner, the number of cats and dogs (as well as other domesticated pets) visiting the vet due to heatstroke rises exponentially. Unfortunately, many pet owners do not even realise that their cats and dogs can overheat even when...

Keeping Your Pets Cool This Summer

KEEPING YOUR PETS SAFE THIS SUMMER With Australia in the midst of Summer, it's a great time to talk about what we can do to keep our pets cool  Old, young, unwell and brachycephalic (short nosed) animals are particularly heat intolerant - so being proactive pays off ...