BRAVERY AWARD JUNE 2021

by | Jul 21, 2021

Meet the gorgeous Hugo, a 14-month-old Samoyed. He’s had his fair share of veterinary visits in the time that we’ve known him – but his most recent visit definitely takes the cake!

Hugo was transferred to BVH after an overnight visit to Casey Pet Emergency (CPE), where x-rays indicated a suspicious looking foreign body within his gastrointestinal tract.

Hugo was admitted to hospital and prepped for an exploratory laparotomy – a procedure whereby the abdomen is opened for further investigation under a general anaesthetic.

During surgery, Dr. Isabelle discovered TWO toys within his intestines – a small portion of a plastic dog toy that was easily removed, and a squeaker toy – which proved to be slightly more challenging! Unfortunately, irreparable damage had been caused to a small section of his bowel. Dr. Isabelle removed this section and re-joined the healthy tissue. Further investigation of the remaining gastrointestinal tract indicated another potential foreign body within the colon, however the apparent ‘soft material’ appeared to be making its way through and was left to pass naturally.

Hugo was transferred back to CPE for overnight care, returning the following morning for further monitoring and pain relief. He successfully passed the remaining foreign material – a small rock and a piece of fabric and was reunited with his family for ongoing aftercare that evening.

Over the coming days, Hugo returned to CPE and BVH for follow up visits. We are pleased to report that Hugo is now on then mend. We are looking forward to seeing Hugo back next month for his ROUTINE annual vaccination!

Make an Appointment

Call Our Friendly Staff

Is Your Pet’s Smile Healthy? Let’s Talk Dental Disease in Pets!

Did you know that dental disease is one of the most common health issues in cats and dogs? Over 80% of pets over the age of three have some form of dental disease, which can lead to serious health problems if left untreated. Why It Matters: Dental disease doesn't just...

Bravery Award June 2024 – Ruby the Cavoodle

Ruby the fourteen-year-old Cavoodle visited the Berwick clinic a couple of months ago for some vomiting and inappetence.  After some initial bloodwork was performed, it was clear due to her elevated hepatic markers that she was suffering from kidney disease and based...

Bravery Award May 2024 – Thomas the Pomeranian

Thomas, the twelve-year-old Pomeranian was a little too forward one morning and rushed to greet a passing dog who was walking down the footpath outside his house.  Unfortunately for Thomas, he didn’t realise quick enough that his new “friend” didn’t appreciate the...

Bravery Award April 2024 – Simba the Labrador

Simba, the nearly four-year-old golden Labrador nearly didn’t make it to Christmas last year after having to receive TWO exploratory laparotomies in the space of a week.  The first was to remove the sock he decided was a very tasty snack, the second was required as he...

Hip Dysplasia in Dogs: Understanding the Condition and Breeds at Risk

Hip dysplasia is a debilitating orthopaedic condition that can affect dogs of various breeds and sizes. Characterised by an abnormal formation of the hip joint, hip dysplasia can cause pain, lameness, and reduced mobility in affected dogs. While all dogs can...

Understanding PennHIP: A Revolutionary Approach to Evaluating Canine Hip Health

Among the numerous health issues that can affect dogs, hip dysplasia ranks among the most prevalent and debilitating. However, thanks to advancements in veterinary medicine, particularly the development of techniques like PennHIP, there's hope for better diagnosis and...

Beware the Fungus Among Us: Mushroom Toxicity in Pets

Mushrooms, with their diverse shapes and colours, can be an enchanting sight in nature. However, not all mushrooms are harmless, and some can pose serious risks to our furry companions. While many pet owners are vigilant about potential hazards in their homes and...

Bravery Award – March 2024 – Danger the Tonkinese

Danger, the two-year-old Tonkinese was hanging out in his front garden a few weeks ago when he took a shine to the neighbour’s cat and went next door for a visit.  Expecting him back shortly (as he wasn’t one to wander far), his owners became increasingly concerned...

Easter Pet Safety: Ensuring a Hoppy Holiday for Your Furry Friends

As Easter approaches, households around the world prepare for festivities filled with colourful eggs, delicious treats, and joyful celebrations. While Easter is a time for families to come together, it's essential to remember that some of the traditions associated...

Bravery Award – February 2024 – Rivva the Kelpie

Rivva, the four-year-old red kelpie presented to us this month, collapsed, pale, breathing rapidly and with a racing heart rate.  She was rushed through for immediate hospitalization and treatment with Dr. Tracy.  As investigations began and bloodwork was performed,...